NEWS SOURCE: BC Government
Last Updated: April 23, 2020
The B.C. Emergency Benefit for Workers will provide a tax-free, one time $1,000 payment for B.C. residents whose ability to work has been affected due to COVID-19.
- Find Out If You’re Eligible
- What You Need To Apply
- How To Apply
- Find Out About Other Benefits
Find Out If You’re Eligible
To be eligible for the emergency benefit, you must:
- Have been a resident of British Columbia on March 15, 2020
- Meet the eligibility requirements for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB)
- Have been approved for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit, even if you haven’t received a federal benefit payment yet
- Be at least 15 years old on the date you apply
- Have filed, or agree to file, a 2019 B.C. income tax return
- Not be receiving provincial income assistance or disability assistance
If you receive a payment and we later determine that you are not eligible for it, you may be required to repay it with penalties and interest.
What You Need To Apply
Your Social Insurance Number
When you apply, we’ll need your Social Insurance Number (SIN), Individual Tax Number (ITN), or Temporary Tax Number (TTN) to verify your eligibility.
Your direct deposit information
The B.C. Emergency Benefit for Workers will only be issued by direct deposit, ensuring you receive the benefit as soon as possible.
Obtain your direct deposit information before the application period begins. The image below shows how to find the relevant numbers on a cheque.
If you don’t use cheques, contact your financial institution to get the numbers. It’s important to enter your bank account information correctly.
The $1,000 payment will be made by direct deposit to your personal bank account within 10 business days.
An approved Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB)
If you haven’t applied for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit yet, you must apply for it now as this is one of the eligibility requirements for the B.C. Emergency Benefit for Workers.
How to Apply
You can apply online starting May 1, 2020. Applying online is safe, secure and only takes minutes.
- You can apply anytime, from anywhere, using any device, including your smart phone
- Applying online is the fastest way to get your benefit
- Your personal information is protected and secure when you apply
Documentation isn’t required when you apply. However, all applications will be verified and we may ask you for proof of your eligibility at a later date.
You can apply by telephone with the help of our agents starting May 4, 2020. This option is for people who don’t have internet access.
We anticipate high call volumes and strongly recommend applying online if you can.
If you don’t have Internet access, or if you have other accessibility needs, you can call us to ask questions starting May 1, 2020 but you won’t be able to apply over the phone until May 4, 2020.
Find Out About Other Benefits
The B.C. Emergency Benefit for Workers is designed to complement other federal and provincial supports available for people throughout the COVID-19 pandemic.
If you haven’t applied for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit yet, find out about the federal benefit.
refers: BC Government